3.11.2012

February Books

So I kept up in February my resolution to read 3 books a month. I began to doubt myself halfway through knowing it was a shorter month and the energy that comes from January resolutions has waned a little. In addition to the three below, we are studying Hebrews in small group. HOW have I gone 31 years without reading this entire chapter of the Bible?! It is gorgeous--the prose, the imagery, the content. And I kind of love how we don't really know who wrote it. Between all that and Jesus Calling, I wore my highlighter out last month.


In Our Time
by Ernest Hemingway
Even though I just said I wore my highlighter out, it was not on this book. After reading The Paris Wife in January, I felt kind of ignorant that I had never read any Hemingway. And I feel a little stupid saying this because he is renowned as a literary genius all over the world, BUT I was so disappointed. I felt the same way reading this as I did when I first read Faulkner in high school. Completely uninspired. He was a depressed person and had just come from war and the story completely personifies "that time," it just wasn't the type of book I like to read. Throughout Paris Wife, he talks about how he wants to write one great sentence a day. I think he wrote a lot of great sentences but just maybe not a great story? I'm not going to completely give up though--I would still like to read A Moveable Feast.

Hoda: How I Survived War Zones, Bad Hair, Cancer, and Kathie Lee



















Hoda
by Hoda Kotb
I found this at my mother's house last year, read one chapter and retired it to the guest room bookshelf. I'm not sure why I picked it up again but I'm glad I did. I feel like so many celebrities publish their story and sometimes when they are like 30. And I'm all "who cares?" but Hoda's story is really inspiring. I had no idea how much she has been through--all the places she worked, how she grew up, etc. And in addition to seeming so kind on the Today Show, she has lead a pretty cool life. She also gives some details on everyone at the Today Show; and as someone who thinks Ann Curry would be her best friend if we ever met, I loved that chapter. I would completely recommend this one--quick read, good advice and just a neat story.

What Difference Do It Make?: Stories of Hope and Healing

What Difference Do It Make
by Ron Hall, Denver Moore and Lynn Vincent
This sequel to Same Kind of Different As Me shares more of Denver and Ron's story as well as stories of those affected by their first novel. It is everything I love in a book--true events, stories of grace and lovable characters. Denver has so many wise reminders on how to live--things we should have learned but just loose in the shuffle of everyday living. I finished it in a few days and would 100% recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment